See and Learn Saying Words 3 Kit (was Saying Later Words)
See and Learn Saying Words 3 is designed to help children with Down syndrome to develop clear speech.
See and Learn Saying Words 3 supports simple activities that encourage the imitation and repetition of spoken words. It includes activities to practise six sets of one or two syllable words beginning with sounds (sh, th, s, z, l, and j) that typically develop following those introduced in See and Learn Saying Words 2.
See and Learn Saying Words 3 can help parents, teachers and therapists support regular speech practice. Research suggests that practice and repetition are necessary to develop clearer speech.
See and Learn Saying Words 3 is the fifth step in See and Learn Speech.
See and Learn Saying Words 3 features three activities:
- Learning to Say Words - using picture prompt cards and speechreading cues to encourage first attempts at saying words
- Practicing Saying Words - using sets of picture prompt cards in games to encourage more complete word production
- Rehearsing Saying Words - multiple repetitions of specific words to improve the clarity and consistency of word production
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Saying Words 3 when they:
- can produce at least some of the consonants - sh, th, s, z, l, or j
- can produce simple combinations of these consonants and a vowel - for example, laa and shoe
We recommend that young children practice these activities as soon as they meet these criteria. However, the activities are also suitable for older children who need additional practice to improve their speech clarity.
The See and Learn Saying Words 3 kit includes:
- A full color guide, including step-by-step instructions
- A records booklet for recording progress
- 52 laminated color word prompt cards
- 5 laminated color repetition counting cards
For further information, please visit the See and Learn web site.