See and Learn Phrases 3 Kit (was First Phrases 3)
See and Learn Phrases 3 is designed to teach children with Down syndrome to progress from using single words to using two words together when they talk.
See and Learn Phrases 3 teaches two-keyword phrases illustrated in themed books using early vocabulary that is taught in See and Learn Vocabulary 1, See and Learn Vocabulary 2 and See and Learn Vocabulary 3. Building on the sight words learned in See and Learn Phrases 1 and See and Learn Phrases 2, See and Learn Phrases 3 also teaches sight word reading using simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
See and Learn Phrases 3 introduces children with Down syndrome to early sight words to support the development of language skills. Research suggests that learning spoken language just from listening to it is hard for most children with Down syndrome, but if we support their learning using pictures and print they can make faster progress.
See and Learn Phrases 3 includes 6 activities to teach 48 two-keyword phrases and 35 new sight words. It also includes 13 sight words that were previously introduced in See and Learn Phrases 1 or See and Learn Phrases 2 to encourage success by building on and extending what your child already knows.
The phrases include 4 different types of two keyword phrases that children learn at this stage of language development. The sight words taught include nouns, verbs, prepositions, an article (the), auxiliary verb (is) and conjunction (and). They also include the regular plural form 's'.
- Reading books - introduces your child to books, teaches the meaning of the phrases and begins to draw your child's attention to the printed words
- Matching sight words - encourages your child to look carefully at the written words and to link them with their spoken forms
- Selecting sight words - allows your child to demonstrate that they are learning to link each printed word with its spoken form
- Reading sight words - encourages your child to practice saying the words that they can read
- Understanding sight words - allows your child to show that they understand the words that they can read by matching written words with the corresponding pictures
- Understanding phrases - allows your child to show that they understand the phrases that they can read by matching phrases with the corresponding pictures
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning early spoken words and phrases
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- Sight words: and, baby, bath, bike, bird, bowl, box, boy, car, cat, chairs, climbing, dog, down, duck, ducks, feeding, fish, fork, garden, girl, hat, horse, house, in, is, monkey, on, plate, potty, rabbit, running, sand, scarf, shoes, socks, spoon, stairs, swimming, swing, swings, table, the, tiger, towel, tractor, tree, up
- Phrases: monkey is climbing, dog is climbing, girl is climbing, boy is climbing, cat is climbing, tiger is climbing, feeding baby, feeding dog, feeding horse, feeding ducks, feeding bird, feeding rabbit, in the bath, in the car, in the box, in the garden, in the tree, in the house, on the bike, on the potty, on the stairs, on the swings, on the sand, on the tractor, dog is running, tiger is running, girl is running, boy is running, cat is running, rabbit is running, dog is swimming, duck is swimming, horse is swimming, fish is swimming, boy is swimming, girl is swimming, socks and shoes, table and chairs, bowl and spoon, hat and scarf, towel and bath, plate and fork, boy is up, boy is down, swing is down, swing is up, bike is up, bike is down
When to start
See and Learn Phrases 3 is designed for children who:
- understand at least 100 words, including the words to be taught as sight words (see above)
- can say or sign at least 30 of the words that they understand
- can follow two-keyword instructions – for example, "feed dog", "give baby a drink" in a play situation
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn Vocabulary 1, 2 and 3 and in See and Learn Phrases 1 and 2 should be ready to start the activities in See and Learn Phrases 3.
This is the English version of See and Learn Phrases 3. It includes resources for both US and UK English.
The See and Learn Phrases 3 kit includes:
- A full color guide, including step-by-step instructions
- A records booklet for recording progress
- 8 short books - Climbing, Feeding, In, On, Running, Swimming, Things that go Together, Up and Down
- 48 phrase cards
- 48 phrase picture cards
- 48 sight word cards
- 45 word picture cards
This kit is included in the following bundles:
- See and Learn First Speech, Language and Reading bundle
- See and Learn First Language and Reading bundle
- See and Learn Phrases bundle
This kit is also available as an app. App editions include the same guide, record forms and support the same teaching activities.
An app edition is available for Apple iPads. Android and Windows app editions are currently under development.
For further information, please visit the See and Learn web site.